Saturday, December 16, 2006

¿Español?

Jesus, I get asked this at least 20 times a day! The likelihood of someone with blue eyes speaking español is highly unlikely, but yet most of those who see me in the pharmacy with my off-white lab coat and professional name tag (in English, to boot) still ask. And they walk away miffed when I politely say, "No." I believe English is the native tongue here in the good ole EUA. And more than likely these people came into our country uninvited and unannounced. For once, I wish I could wear a shirt that says ICE.

I've actually asked my employer with help with conversational español enough to try to communicate with this crowd. But the employees who speak español, which is about 99.99%, don't step up to the plate. I just don't want someone taking the wrong dose of something and then turn around and get sued because I didn't communicate with them in español.

Now I should also mention I live in a resort town down here in Florida, so not only do I have to deal with illegals, I get to deal with hateful Haitians, impatient Germans, rifle-dropping-yet-snotty French, Chinese, Russian, Albanian, and any other ethnicity I forgot to mention. It's like I'm at the f**king United Nations! Actually, most of the foreigners that stop by are from the UK. Funny, this is the only time I get to use my English...

It was a dead Saturday today. Finished sending returns so that we can get $0.39 out of $2000 worth of expired drugs. Just have to raise the price of Viagra....

Later taters.
The Reel Deel

email me: thereeldeel@earthlink.net

No comments: